Taught to me by Luca Sartoni many years ago, and it’s changed my life! It’s written in “pseudocode” and lacks exactness … but it works. —JM
The Perfect Poached Egg
- Crack a raw egg and keep it ready inside a ladle.
- Bring your water to a boil with salt to taste.
- Add just enough vinegar that you’re a little concerned it’s too vinegar-y.
- Gently place the egg into the boiling water — gently with your ladle.
- Lower the water’s heat so that it’s just a little below boiling temperature
- Set your timer for three minutes and let the egg cook cook cook.
- Carefully scoop the cooked egg and place into a strainer lined with a towel.
If you want to make more than one to eat, repeat this process. Or, to use them over the next few days, then just pop them into the refrigerator.